Monday, January 28, 2013

Speckled Mountain in Peru, Maine

The Oxford Hills

Speckled Mountain is an old favorite of mine.  I first read about it in a trail guide (Fifty Hikes in Southern Maine) which I bought at L.L. Bean's when we first moved to Maine in the late 1980s.  It is located in the Oxford Hills, a region of small but rugged mountains about one hour north of Portland. 


Logging Roads below Speckled Mountain

The region has been heavily logged, which creates an interesting terrain with mixed hard and soft woods and many logging roads and skidder trails.

Concord Pond from Speckled Mountain

Over the years I have visited it many times, typically in January when I can ski to the base of the mountain on snowmobile trails.

Bluffs on Speckled Mountain, Black Mountain in background

Today I summited Speckled Mountain using backcountry skis and snowshoes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment