Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Summits and Shelters in the Northern Presidential Range


Mount Madison (left) and Mount Adams (right)
On March 11 and 12, I took a two day winter hiking trip in the northern Presidential Range of New Hampshire's White Mountains.  I reached two peaks (Mount Adams and Mount Madison), and visited several shelters.

Cold Brook Falls, off the Amphibrach Trail
The first day of my trip was graced with delightful weather: clear skies, great views and moderate temperatures.  I took advantage of these conditions by hiking a somewhat roundabout route and "stopping to smell the flowers" wherever I could find a trailside viewpoint or interesting attraction.

Mount Madison (left), King Ravine (center) and Mount Adams (upper right) from Crag Camp
I stopped for a leisurely lunch at Crag Camp, a shelter operated by the Randolph Mountain Club (of which I am a longtime member).  Crag Camp is situated in a spectacular location, on the edge of King Ravine overlooking the summits of Mount Madison and Mount Adams.

Crag Camp interior
After lunch I hiked a short distance to nearby Gray Knob cabin, another Randolph Mountain Club shelter where I spent the night.  Although Gray Knob does not enjoy views comparable to those from Crag Camp, it is insulated, more sheltered and has a wood stove and caretaker; therefore, it is a cozier place to spend a winter night.

Gray Knob Interior
That evening, I wandered the area around Gray Knob enjoying the views of Mount Jefferson, the Franconia Range and Vermont to the west of Mount Adams.

Mount Jefferson from Gray Knob
In the morning, I got an early start for my climb to the summits of Mount Adams and Mount Madison.  The weather was very unpleasant: steady rain and 50-70 mph winds.  Despite these challenges I persevered over the summit of Mount Adams, down to the Madison Spring Hut for a quick break, then up to the summit of Mount Madison.  The Madison Spring Hut is operated by the Appalachian Mountain Club, but it is closed in the winter so I took my break in an outside corner on the hut's leeward side.  

Mount Madison and the Madison Spring Hut from the Gulfside Trail on Mount Adams
After descending via a sheltered valley trail, I was very happy to peel off my wet clothes and blast the heat in my car on the ride home!

No comments:

Post a Comment